I don't think theres a chance for a January move. Wenger would just wait for the summer again. Like what he said last january, its either he buy the right player or he rather not buy deadwood as it's very hard to move them on.

Anyway if he continue to perform like this, he will be out of our price range pretty quickly.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/morgan-schneiderlin-tear-gas-bomb-4399940

John Cross mentions there he had a meeting planned with us after we signed Chambers but Southampton pulled the plug on any deal.  I got the impression during the summer we weren't really in for him but glad that wasn't true.  I don't know what his priorities were because many mentioned he wanted to go to Spurs to work with Pochettino.

Not sure if we will make a move in January again.  We should then at least we don't need to worry about signing a DM in the summer.  End of the day there aren't that many top class proven ones available but I do think he could definitely step up at our club.  Counts as a home grown player and available to play in the Champions League as well.  Chelsea got Matic done last January so they didn't have to worry about that position in the summer, gave him time to settle into the club as well.  However when it comes to the Arsenal when a deal makes so much sense it usually doesn't happen!  

Good thing we didn't go for him last summer, eh?

I mean, it's not like anyone on here could tell that he was a very good player and would give us exactly what we need.

Wenger knows.

We did go for him last summer.

You can't go for somebody without making a bid, can you?

Can you provide a source otfgoon?

The only thing I can find is this-

David Hytner from the Guardian to @lequipe "Arsenal had the opportunity to sign Schneiderlin EARLY this summer"
David Hytner "But Wenger preferred to wait until the last minute & the saints blocked the move"

Morgan Schneiderlin has explained the sequence of events that led to him looking to leave Southampton, before eventually staying on.

Having helped to turn the south coast outfit into a top-half Premier League side and earned international recognition with France that took him to the World Cup finals, the highly-rated midfielder admits to having seriously considered his future.

Exit seeds had been sown prior to the summer, before a mass exodus of top talent helped to convince the 24-year-old that the time was right to move on.

"Of course I was angry. I thought: ‘I just played in the World Cup after two good seasons in the Premier League. I never say anything, but I can’t stay in a team that plays for survival. I need to reach a new level’." Southampton, though, stood their ground and made it clear that no further sales would be sanctioned.

Schneiderlin was initially disappointed, leading to him airing his anger in public via Twitter, but he now appreciates the club’s stance and is happy to be part of a squad that has made an impressive start to life under Ronald Koeman.

He told France Football: “Was the meeting with Southampton officials on July 29 tense? Yes.

“In the months building up to it, there was interest from clubs – three clubs and Tottenham were among them.

“Since February/March, my agents and I had talked with Southampton about a possible departure. The club always told me they would sell for the right price.

“My agents and I went to that meeting on July 29 in a peaceful state of mind, with exciting propositions. To me, with my six years at Southampton and everything I had given to the club, everything should have been sorted that day.

“I told them I signed for a project that was supposed to keep the best elements in order to go higher. Before that meeting, (Adam) Lallana, (Dejan) Lovren, (Rickie) Lambert, Luke Shaw and (Calum) Chambers all left. I said to myself: ‘This is not the same situation, this is not possible. What are they doing?’ At that moment, Southampton hadn’t signed anyone.

Chambers signed for Arsenal the day before our meeting and the club saw the fans getting mad. They thought: ‘If Morgan leaves the stadium will be burnt’. So they told us: ‘Morgan is not for sale, we won’t listen to anything. That is the decision and there is nothing more to say’.

“It was a real shock to me. Of course I was angry. I thought: ‘I just played in the World Cup after two good seasons in the Premier League. I never say anything, but I can’t stay in a team that plays for survival. I need to reach a new level’. So I told them: ‘You don’t respect me and you don’t respect your words, you treat me like cattle’. They defended their interests and I defended mine.

“After I refused to play the friendly against Leverkusen on August 9, the chairman came to speak to me and let me have the weekend to think about things.

“I talked to a lot of people. Some told me to go on strike, that the club will finally give up. My agents never said that, they just told me to make a decision.

“I felt that the officials wouldn’t let me leave, that they would rather leave me on the sidelines for six months. So I resumed training because I really needed to play football again.

“I played against Liverpool at Anfield and all the Southampton fans applauded me and chanted my name. It was so heart-warming. I knew then I would spend the whole season at Southampton.

“Maybe now we will achieve something amazing here. Champions League qualification would be fantastic. I hope to play in the Champions League one day, of course. I want to play every three days. But why not play in the Champions League with Southampton?”

If you read the article the meeting he is referring to is the meeting between himself and the board
John Cross has twisted it around to the following
[size=medium][font='PT Sans', sans-serif]Schneiderlin said: "Chambers left the day before our meeting with Arsenal.[/font][/size]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Jeremy Wilson ‏[/font]
[ltr][size=x-small]@JWTelegraph[/size][/ltr]
[font=Arial, sans-serif] [size=x-small] 4m4 minutes ago[/size][/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Arsenal didn't make even an enquiry for Morgan Schneiderlin last yr. Think it will be very different this summer ... [size=xx-small]http://www.[/size]telegraph.co.uk/sport/football[size=xx-small]/teams/arsenal/11329142/Arsenal-transfer-news-Arsene-Wenger-ready-to-fight-with-Spurs-over-Southampton-midfielder-Morgan-Schneiderlin.html[/size][size=xx-small] [/size]…[/font]

Are we to believe Scheiderlin or Wilson? The thing about Wilson is he tells you whatever Arsenal tell him. If he's saying something is on then its very likely. He doesn't know much of what they don't want getting out though.

Schneiderlin hasn't said anything about our interest, I think.

qs! wrote:

Are we to believe Scheiderlin or Wilson? The thing about Wilson is he tells you whatever Arsenal tell him. If he's saying something is on then its very likely. He doesn't know much of what they don't want getting out though.

If you read carefully you will see John Cross has twisted the quotes because Schneiderlin only mentioned Tottenham as an interested club. He referenced Arsenal only in terms of Chambers move. 

From the other Morgan Schneiderlin thread that got pumped off the first page of the transfer section by this unnecessary new thread.

Schneiderlin said: "Chambers left the day before our meeting with Arsenal. They had a bid accepted and I was ready to sign for them, I was desperate. Tottenham wanted me, but with all due respect to them they are not the same level as Arsenal. I enjoyed my time under Mauro [Pochettino], but he knows I was never going to sign for them. I needed a change, an upgrade, not the same."

Posted 2 months ago by Clrnc.

I'll merge the threads to avoid confusion I suppose.

Good man, Schneido. Dicking on Spurs even before signing is always a good thing. When he signs he should first talk to stinky Spurs, then have them pay for the cab to us a la Petit. Will be a legend here even before a ball has been kicked in anger I reckon. 🙂

Just further shows how incompetent we are at times when it comes to transfers, this one should have been wrapped by early June last summer. He would have joined and they would have let him go around that time as well. When we went for Suarez we missed out on other strikers but we made the right choice in going for the better player, what was our excuse when it came to Schneiderlin? Why does this club just leave things so late and not just get on with things I do not know.

Just offer them more than he is worth and get this done now, he'll have half a season to settle in and we'll get to see the best of him by next season. A DM will improve this team far more than a CB will so it has to be the priority.

qs! wrote:

From the other Morgan Schneiderlin thread that got pumped off the first page of the transfer section by this unnecessary new thread.

Schneiderlin said: "Chambers left the day before our meeting with Arsenal. They had a bid accepted and I was ready to sign for them, I was desperate. Tottenham wanted me, but with all due respect to them they are not the same level as Arsenal. I enjoyed my time under Mauro [Pochettino], but he knows I was never going to sign for them. I needed a change, an upgrade, not the same."

Posted 2 months ago by Clrnc.

I'll merge the threads to avoid confusion I suppose.

A quick google search shows those exact quotes to be only have posted on this forum and nowhere else

As a mod can't you at least research this a bit

JazzG wrote:

Just further shows how incompetent we are at times when it comes to transfers, this one should have been wrapped by early June last summer. He would have joined and they would have let him go around that time as well. When we went for Suarez we missed out on other strikers but we made the right choice in going for the better player, what was our excuse when it came to Schneiderlin? Why does this club just leave things so late and not just get on with things I do not know.

Just offer them more than he is worth and get this done now, he'll have half a season to settle in and we'll get to see the best of him by next season. A DM will improve this team far more than a CB will so it has to be the priority.

I don't think they will let him go unless we offer some astronomical amount now. They are in a good league position, and do not have to sell. We are almost direct rivals for the top 4 position.

I really can't see us signing a midfielder sadly this window.

Don't think they have the muscle to refuse 40m. Barely anyone does.

I don't think we even need to go that high, an offer in excess over £20m will get them thinking. I think Spurs only bid like £14m for him in the summer. For around £25m they will look to sell because I doubt any other club would be willing to match that now or in the summer. Most of the top clubs have already are well stocked in that position.

Surely they must be thinking that there might be a possibility for fourth with him, none without him. No way they will sell him for a non-ridiculous sum imo.

40m is a ridiculous amount. They will surely sell but not even us can be so stupid? With that amount it's almost Cavani money.

John Cross mentioned that Spurs didn't improve on their 10m offer in the summer, so JazzG might have a point. Probably easier to get him in the summer, but more beneficial to get him now.

Yes, for 40m they'd sell, but don't think they'd sell for 20 to 25m to be honest. I'd rather spend 40m on a DM than Cavani. We won't on either, though.

Quincy Abeyie wrote:

Surely they must be thinking that there might be a possibility for fourth with him, none without him. No way they will sell him for a non-ridiculous sum imo.

They ain't getting 4th with or without him imo. Also in Wanyama and Cork they have two players who can play in the middle for them so they don't even need to spend the money quickly for a replacement.

Gunner89 wrote:
qs! wrote:

From the other Morgan Schneiderlin thread that got pumped off the first page of the transfer section by this unnecessary new thread.

Posted 2 months ago by Clrnc.

I'll merge the threads to avoid confusion I suppose.

A quick google search shows those exact quotes to be only have posted on this forum and nowhere else

As a mod can't you at least research this a bit

Maybe you should google what a moderator does.

Otf? Doesn't do much good 'round here.

In the longer-term, Abou Diaby is now likely to leave when his contract ends this summer. Arsenal would also listen to offers for Mathieu Flamini, who has one year remaining on his deal. Arteta, the club captain, has agreed to stay for at least another year.

Fucking hell. Really thought he was on a 2+1 contract and that we have decided not to extend.

It really doesn't seem like Wilson knows anything about us anymore. Tiote an option in January? Hell would freeze over before Wenger bought him.

Just bid £25m and get him in now FFS, already fucked up by not moving quickly enough last summer.

I'm sure an extra 5m isn't enough to convince Southampton to sell one of their most important players in the middle of a season when they have a realistic chance of finishing on a CL spot.

Well bid an extra £10m or £15m then, at least ask the question and force them into an awkward situation. It should be noted if they do somehow make it into the CL then there is a good chance that it will be our spot they take.

That's exactly why it wouldn't be that easy to convince them to sell to us.

We're not bidding £25m-£35m on a £10-£15m player ffs 😆

It seems like we already would have signed Schneiderlin if Wenger were interested. Would love this guy but am not optimistic.

Do we have any reason not to lock this at least for now? We're not really being linked are we?